Holy Cross Runs on Traditions

Holy+Cross+Runs+on+Traditions+

Photo by Maegan Mathews

Holy Cross Runs on Traditions

The community at Holy Cross is what makes it so special. Within the community there are different aspects of student life that makes Holy Cross, Holy Cross. The school as a whole has many things to offer for students to get involved in, including traditions that allow them to participate in creating and continuing history. 

Maika Walker reminisced on her time as a student at Holy Cross as she experiences the traditions again, but this time from a different perspective. Beginning her career as the Director of Social Justice as the school year began, she is excited to be back. 

“I didn’t feel like I was coming in and everything had changed,” Walker explained. “If anything, I feel like the school has grown and blossomed even more into a Holy Cross community.” 

Junior Elizabeth O’Neill recalled receiving her class ring on February 17, 2022, as she expressed her love and appreciation for that tradition at Holy Cross, as well as the annual spirit-filled Holy Cross Day. 

“[Junior Ring Ceremony] transferred us from underclasswomen to upperclasswomen which I thought was a really cool experience,” O’ Neill said. “Holy Cross Day was fun with the whole school but doing something that was individually with my class was also really enjoyable.” 

Walker entered the doors of Holy Cross after graduating with the hope of continuing to participate in traditions as if she had never left. 

“The vibe of the school is still very much what it was when I was here, which I love,” Walker expressed. “When I started working here it felt like coming home.” 

Junior Mikayla Stephens conveyed her appreciation for the annual talent show and expressed how it has brung her and her fellow classmates closer together. 

“When I started working here it felt like coming home.” 

— Maika Walker

“Some things show a spark in someone that you never knew and can make your bond stronger,” Stephen stated. “When we do the talent shows we can see everyone’s talent especially when it comes to dancing or just singing in general.” 

O’ Neill expressed excitement as she nears the end of her junior year and looks forward to her senior year and experiencing traditions for the last time as a student at Holy Cross. 

“I’m excited for all of the things we’ve been waiting for our three years here,” O’ Neill explained. “I think all the [senior privileges] that [administration] had given to the seniors are special things since they are the upperclassmen.” 

Holy Cross has provided a tradition-filled environment for past and present students, and continues to create an encouraging community to the faculty, staff, and LOTAs. 

“Being here, it brings back so many memories to my time at Holy Cross and how special it was,” concluded Walker.