The Juniors Put a Ring on It

Photo by Kelsey Lawson

A group of junior students hold up their rings while standing next to Mr. Sullivan on February 17. The LOTAs show off their rings after the ceremony.

The 11th grade students received their class rings during their Junior Ring Ceremony in the auditorium on Thursday 17, as part of an annual tradition at Holy Cross. 

The eagerness could be felt throughout the building as the date of the ceremony approached, especially this year as it was originally scheduled to be held in November. It was postponed due to supply and stocking issues of certain stones.  

“The most exciting part of the Junior Ring ceremony is continuing the tradition as did more than 150 years of LOTAs. Though the options for rings have changed, alumni through generations share a ring with the school insignia,” junior Eden Friedman shared. “Parents who are alumni will take photos with their children showcasing their child’s new ring as well as the one they received with their high school class.”

Tradition is a large part of the Holy Cross community for many years. The Junior Ring Ceremony is an important part and goes back as far as the 1940s, but it was not always called the same. 

“As late as the mid 60s, the rings were given out at the beginning of senior year and there was a blessing for the rings which was supposed to be symbolic of your last three years at the academy,” Student Activities Director Phyllis Ouellette explained the history of the ceremony. “Then they went and blessed the graduation caps and they gave the girls graduation caps and that was supposed to signify success for the upcoming senior year. They just simply called it the Ring Cap Blessing Ceremony for the seniors.”

As with any ceremony, each person has their own favorite part. For some, it was receiving the ring at the end or getting food, but for senior Mercy Asamoah and Oullette it was different

“I liked how we all bonded together and got our rings and got to look at one another’s. It was really nice,” Asamoah elated. 

Oullette has been to many different junior ring ceremonies throughout the years but her favorite part always rings true each time

“When everybody stands up and sings the alma mater, having heard the class prayers and the address by their president of their class and having the candles all lit so it’s kind of a moment of solidarity,” Oullette voiced. 

The ceremony can sometimes be a stressful experience, finding a dress, picking out the stone, and remembering not to fall. 

“The most nerve racking part of the ceremony was arriving on time, especially since most of our juniors are new drivers,” Friedman shared her experience. “Mrs. Tonks made it very clear we were to be ready by 6:30, though many of us, myself included, found the process of getting ready to be longer than anticipated.” 

The experience is different with every student.

“I didn’t feel nervous, I was honestly just excited about the food to be honest,” expressed Asamoah. “It was just a step toward being an upperclassman.”

Before the ceremony there are usually advisers giving advice about the ceremony, usually not to wear heels so the students do not trip going up the stairs. 

“Make sure your ring fits!” was Oullette’s important suggestion.

The juniors who participated this year now have their advice to give.

“Don’t be nervous about the ceremony because it’s really just a lot of fun and you get to go with your friends,” Asamoah assured.

When the juniors graduate and move onto great things they might look back on this time and remember all of the fun times they had.

The best parts of the ceremony, seeing old friends and making new ones, taking photos with our rings, and friend groups blending and the forming of new friendships,” Friedman believes it will be the same for her—a night to remember.