Dancing The Night Away

Photo by Ana Tovar Diaz

LOTAs and their dates getting ready to dance the night away.

After a long wait for a dance, LOTAs were finally able to attend their Homecoming on November 13. The students and their dates spent the night dancing away to the DJ’s music, stopping by the food truck, and making s’mores with their friends.

Sophomore Naomi Barish was not able to experience Homecoming until this year due to the Covid-19 restrictions during her freshman year. She was able to get ready with her friends and take pictures prior to the event which is an enjoyable start to the evening.

“It was one of the best moments of my life,” Barish said. “Dancing with my friends made me smile and it lifted up my spirits.” 

From getting ready with friends to taking pictures, each girl was able to participate in a fun memory that will stay for a lifetime. 

“Getting ready is usually my favorite part of Hoco,” senior Emilia Moberg exclaimed.

Student Council spent a long time preparing for this dance as there was a lot to arrange. They had to focus on budgeting as they wanted girls to enjoy food while dancing, along with having heaters due to the fact that it would take place outside during early winter. 

“Student Council had to consider Covid restrictions and being outside,” Vice Principal Lidnsey Tonks stated. “They spoke with students to figure out what would be best.”

Moberg has had the opportunity to attend each homecoming for her four years except for junior year which was cancelled due to Covid. 

“I think this year’s homecoming was very unique,” Moberg said. “It was outside and the theme was much simpler than usual.”

Since this homecoming had to be moderated for it to be safe and fun, it was very different from previous years. The food options were changed so it could be distributed safely among the students. 

Moberg explained that the food options “would be like dixie cups with chips or pretzels with water” at the AHC homecomings she went to before the pandemic. 

Since this was an outdoor event, the activities that the LOTAs were allowed to do with their dates and friends grew.

“It was more spaced out so you could breathe,” Moberg stated. “It’s normally like a mosh pit.”

Throughout the night, girls and boys were jumping up and down to the music the DJ was playing, and there were people smiling and laughing even though it was around 40 degrees outside. 

“I loved it,” Tonks exclaimed. “I thought it was great.”