Senior Crunch

A+group+of+seniors+doing+their+assignments+during+their+free+period.+

Photo by Kyra Velasquez

A group of seniors doing their assignments during their free period.

For seniors college is now closer than ever. Which means visiting different universities, working through the application process and writing many essays. Although it can be stressful, it is an exciting and rewarding experience. 

This is an exciting time when many seniors begin to heavily consider what colleges they would like to attend. Visiting colleges is an opportunity for seniors to have a glimpse of what their future can be.

“At first I was excited about going on all the trips, you know, to go visit my colleges,” senior Caleigh Rose described. 

The college process is not just the fun of visiting colleges and receiving merch. The application process can also be overwhelming. To help with this Holy Cross offer their students assistance during this process. 

“At Holy Cross I took the Application Academy and through that we actually got to start the common app and meet with our college counselors. Their college counseling was really helpful in aiding us in the college process,” Rose explained.

Many challenges seniors face during this time are the early action deadlines, which is when students apply to colleges earlier and therefore receive a decision before the normal response date. 

“The early action deadlines are coming up so that’s very stressful,” senior Ella Burke shared. “I know the school does a great job of holding workshops which definitely helps but it’s definitely a stressful process on top of keeping up good grades.”

This is not only a stressful time for seniors though. Many teachers are flooded with requests for recommendation letters, but are honored to do so.

“I’ve been asked by hundreds of students over the years to write their letters so it’s a nice opportunity to reflect about all the good things they’ve done in the class or the growth they’ve had over the years,” history and social studies teacher Liz Baldacci agreed. 

Teachers have advice for seniors who are stressed out.

“I think there’s a college for everybody so I think students freak out too much, because if you really wanna go somewhere there is a place for you,” Baldacci shared.