Transferring LOTAs

Mrs. Gobbi talks with transfer students.

Coming back to school after summer is difficult for everyone but for transfer students it’s twice as hard. Transfers have to meet so many new students and teachers, find their group of friends, complete their schoolwork, try not to get lost, all while trying to avoid drama. Wearing the same clothes everyday is a new morning routine for many of them.

Transferring to Holy Cross from a public school or a private co-ed school is a huge adjustment. Especially difficult is when they are in class and the teacher refers to something the other students learned last year, and the transfer students are totally spacing and zoning out because they have no idea what is going on.

Although there are challenges transfers do adjust. Sophomore transfer Isabella Castrencce answered, “It is really nice, I like the sense of community.”

Castrencce loves it because the girls are so accepting and she found her group of friends easily. Although she came to school not knowing anyone, she discovered that when she tried out for volleyball all the girls included her. Despite not shadowing and not knowing exactly what she was getting into, she is glad she is here, and is looking forward to her next three years at Holy Cross. Go cheer Castrencce at the next junior varsity volleyball game!

To assist transfers in their adjustment to the Holy Cross community, the administration and counselors hosted a pizza lunch for the current and prior transfer students. The transfer orientation program assisted the newest LOTAs in getting to know each other. The goal was that by the first day of classes they knew at least a few students.

One transfer student faced an additional difficulty when she arrived at school a week after classes had started. Junior Avery Kulak discovered how challenging it is to transfer without the chance to attend orientation. Kulak did not know anyone at Holy Cross when she arrived but now is making new friends.

The increased workload presented a challenge as Kulak explained, “It was a lot harder getting used to the curriculum from my old school to Holy Cross’s.”

Although she hasn’t joined any clubs, she is planning on trying out for lacrosse in the spring. Kulak stated, “The first day was a little hectic because I kept getting lost but overall it was a good day. The girls were extremely nice to me and I felt included in everything.”

Like the other transfer students, Kulak is pleased she is at Holy Cross and is looking forward to the school year.