Getting Involved at AHC

Making the Most of Your Holy Cross Years

Photo by Tyler O'Leary

Volleyball team before their entrance at the pep rally.

Addie Bounds, Reporter

Getting involved at Holy Cross can be the biggest factor in making this school year great. With arts, athletics, and academics there are so many ways to get involved at Holy Cross. There is no better way for students to have a awesome high school experience then to dive right into AHC’s fantastic atmosphere.

Sports have begun for the fall season. Students not participating in cross country, equestrian, tennis, field hockey, volleyball, or soccer, should come out and support these hard working girls. Holy Cross can be known for it’s lively student body section at the sporting events;  joining in will be a blast.

For students who are neither the cheering type nor prefer to get in on the competition, many upcoming opportunities exist. Holy Cross has many seasonal teams. Next up are the winter sports: basketball, bocce, ice hockey, poms, swimming and diving, and indoor track and field.

Becoming part of Holy Cross athletics is a wonderful opportunity because  “there is a sense of family” said softball player Reilly O’Leary.

The Academy has tremendous arts programs as well. Theater offers a winter musical and a spring play. The Adrenaline dance team is a dance ensemble started up at the end of September, and this is all without even mentioning the endless art classes offered. Taking part in the outstanding arts program is an great way to get involved at AHC.

Student Council is the perfect opportunity for student who wishes to lead this year. Members of  student council plan dances, assemblies, and school spirit events. There are plenty of choices for students who are interested in attending AHC’s main events but not planning them. Holy Cross has the best events in the WCAC, as evidence by the turn-out at “Welcome to the Jungle”. High school should be a fun four years and participating in the dances and spirit week will ensure that fun.

AHC has over 30 clubs to offer, which were featured at the club fair in the gym on September 11. Clubs are a fun place for students looking to make new friends or who are wanting to spend time with old ones. Some of the AHC favorites are Best Buddies, Booster Club, Breast Cancer Awareness Club, and Environmental Club. More information about clubs is available at academyoftheholycross.org under sisterhood. 

Page D’albora, a student at Holy Cross just joined several clubs and commented “I can’t wait to help other people and become a part of a community.”

Holy Cross takes things to the next level with the honor societies. There are seven honor societies for school scholars. These are ways to push yourself to your full potential. The Moreau Chapter of the National Honor Society is available to juniors who finish their first semester above a specific grade point average and are involved in the school community. Members attend meetings and participate in peer tutoring.

Holy Cross sponsors six other honor societies. The Spanish Honor Society, French Honors Society and the Latin Honor Society are all about expanding your knowledge. Similarly the International Thespian Society and the Tri-M Music Honor Society are terrific places to look into for expanding your arts excellence. 

This year Holy Cross has added a new honor society, the National Honor Society for Dance Arts (NHSDA). This is run through the National Dance Education Organization and it is an opportunity for those looking to dance or study dance.

Not only will taking part in Holy Cross’s community make high school a fun experience but it will also look amazing to colleges, according to Peterson.com.