LOTAs Staying Fit Despite COVID-19

Photo by Rose Zaremba

Junior Rose Zaremba has been staying active by doing ab workouts, such as planks, in her room during this time at home.

As the coronavirus sweeps the United States during the spring of 2020, it is affecting citizens nationwide. The impacts of the virus include the closure of schools, cancellation of sport seasons, and closures of gyms.

Although Holy Cross students are affected by these events, they have found ways to overcome the difficulty of staying active during this time.

Sophomore Brennan Flynn was an active student before school closed as a member of the lacrosse team.

“Before COVID-19 affected my daily routine, I had a two hour lacrosse practice Monday through Friday,” explained Flynn.

Flynn described how she feels about the impacts COVID-19 has had on her season cancellation.

“It’s disappointing that we have lost a majority of our season, but it’s out of everyone’s control, so all we can do is try to stay positive,” affirmed Flynn.

Junior Eileen McConville’s exercise schedule has been changed for the better, thanks to online learning.

“This schedule is much more flexible than traditional school, so I have been working out more,” claimed McConville.

“I have been trying my best to stay active, as working out is the only time I leave my home. I have been going on thirty minute runs everyday and jumping rope outside,” McConville continued. “I also downloaded the Peleton app to stay active, as they are doing a ninety day free trial.”

Running seems to be a popular activity for students during their time at home, as well as continuing their spring sport at home.

“Everyday after school, I go on a run that is nearly two miles long. Then, I do wallball to keep my stick skills from getting rusty,” recounted Flynn. “Finally, I go on a hike along the creek near my house at least two times a week with my mom, sister, brother, and dog.”

Students are required to take PE and Health classes in which they learn exercises that are suitable to perform at home.

PE and health teacher Cheryl King describes how students can maintain an active lifestyle at home.

“Find a stretching routine or a yoga practice to do everyday for at least 15 minutes,” recommended King. “If you can, get out for a run or a brisk walk to get your heart rate up. Try a workout video, JustDance, or Wii Sports.”