All Girls, All the Fun

Photo by Clare Foley

Juniors Allie Lawson and Cassie Fredell show their LOTA bond.

Holy Cross is one of only 276 all-girls high schools in the United States, making this experience rare.

Attending an all-girls school is an experience that only some girls have the opportunity to encounter in their lives. Students and teachers experience the positivity that is the atmosphere of this education, especially at Holy Cross, during their high school years.

Junior Clare Striegel compared her middle school experience at a co-ed school to that of her high school.

She explained that a school experience can be less stressful at an all-girls school, as students are more likely to raise their hands in class without fear of being judged by the boys.

“I was more aware of when I asked questions, if they were right, or if what I was saying may have been thought of as weird. Whereas when I am here, I never feel judged by the other girls,” Striegel claimed.

In addition to having more confidence in their participation in the classroom, students feel they are able to become more aware of their self identity and confidence.

“It really helps you to find yourself, with your friends and academically. I am focusing more on myself then trying to impress people,” Junior Grace Winters explained.

Latin teacher, Rachel Mullervy, attended an all-girls college, Mount Holyoke College. She built more on this idea of finding herself that Winters initially presented.

“Going to an all-girls college for four years and eliminating the competition in an academic environment, enabled me to formulate my own identity and solidify my confidence,” Mullervy described.

She compared the importance of a single sex education in high school and that in college.

“I think single-sex education at the high school level is more important than college because you are changing more in high school in terms of who you think you are, your interests, and your pursuits; whereas in college, you understand your identity more and are more mature,” Mullervy continued.

Assistant Director of Admissions, Jordyn Brock, plays a major role in inviting prospective students to come to Holy Cross. To convince these students, Brock explains examples of the opportunities girls are able to have at a single-sex institution.

“With Student Council, girls actually have the opportunity to be the president. Whereas sometimes in co-ed environments, girls shy away from that,” affirmed Brock.

Brock also shared implications for a student’s future with the benefit of an all-girl high school.

“A STEM career is predominantly a male place of work, so having the opportunity to pursue science and math without that male competition gives them a one-up from those in a co-ed environment,” Brock continued.