Are Hydro Flasks Really All the Rage?

Photo by Julianna Gray

Proud AHC students holding up their Hydro Flasks

What Do We Know?

Walking the halls of Holy Cross there is a large assortment of water bottles, big, small, reusable, non-reusable.There is a water bottle war going on between YETI, Hydro Flask, and S’well concerning which bottle has the best price, warranty, and charity. Hydro Flask is the newest brand and has many fans at the Academy, but is it really the best?

What’s Your Opinion?

Science teacher Alison Simon stated, “The reason I got a Hydro Flask was because that was the water bottle that could hold my stuff and keep it cold throughout the entire day.” 

This is similar to sophomore Liza Itskovich, who said, “ I like the colors they have, and it keeps your water cold.” 

As well as Adrianna Monzon, sophomore, who shared, “They keep my water cold for 48 hours in the summer while I’m playing soccer.” 

The common response among LOTAs positive opinion towards Hydro Flask is their ability to keep water cold for longer periods of time than other brands of water bottle. In an experiment among bottles by Hydro Flask, YETI, and S’well, the Hydro Flask keep water cold for 48 hours where the water in the YETI and S’well warmed at about 23 hours. 

How Long Will It Last? 

Another factor to consider between Hydro Flask, YETI, and S’well are the warranties. This is of interest to LOTAs who are looking for a long-lasting water bottle. 

Hydro Flasks are the winners with a lifetime warranty; YETIs coming in second place with a 5-year warranty; and S’wells in third with a 1-year warranty. 

Is It Worth The Money?

There is also the price range to determine, using the price per ounce for LOTAs looking for a good buy. Of these three bands, the most expensive is S’well, at $2.10 per oz; YETI and Hydro Flask bottles are less less expensive at $1.70 per oz. 

Where Is the Money Going?

Some consumers are interested in the charitable endeavors of a brand: where is the money going, and is it for a good cause? 

According to the Hydro Flask website, they are proud supporters of 63 non-profit organizations working towards saving parks and nature reservations around the country, and have donated $838,000 to these organizations. 

While YETI does not show any nonprofit organizations they donate to, they do have over 22 partnerships with organizations working towards forest and wildlife preservation.

S’well has started a campaign to stop plastic water bottle use by donating reusable S’well water bottles to more than 320,000 students in New York City. S’well has also started the Million Bottle Project that aims to eliminate over 100 million plastic bottles by 2020. 

Who’s The Winner?

Based on these results, it looks like Hydro Flask seem like the best choice with the longest lasting cold water, best warranty, and charitable activities.