Kicking off the College Search with a Fair

Photo by Anna Owens

Junior Brooke Andrews collects brochures at the college fair.

Over seventy representatives from various colleges traveled to Holy Cross on February 1 for the annual college fair. Students had the opportunity to explore many of their options for their future educations, as well as gain advice from the visiting admissions representatives.

Numerous sessions were hosted by the admissions representatives, covering topics including the college essay, STEM majors, and international colleges.

Junior Rose Weisgerber believes that the fair is extremely beneficial to the students that went, and spoke highly of the small groups sessions at the event.

“I got to see the schools that my parents wanted me to look at and the ones that I’m interested in. It’s almost like a little tour of each school without actually being on the campus,” Weisgerber expressed.

College Counselor Meighan Avalos discussed the intended purpose and benefits of the event. “We have it so that students can see what universities are out there, give them a first look if they are freshmen or sophomores, and then also provide presentations for all students on the college admissions process and anything that has to do with university trends,” explained Avalos.

Avalos hopes that this event opens the eyes of students so that they can grasp just how many options they have when it comes to college. “One of the biggest things that our students take away from this is to have more exposure to universities that are out there. A lot of times students, when they are freshmen and sophomores, only hear of the big name schools,” she continued.

Avalos emphasized the benefits of the fair, stating, “Students are able to come to this event and see other schools that may not be on the big screen, but have the programs that they’re interested in or the atmosphere that they’re comfortable with, or just exactly what they’re looking for.”