Freshmen’s First Quarter Full of New Beginnings

Photo by Dani Lock

A freshman asking a sophomore for advice

Coming into the first day of high school can be an overwhelming experience for some students. It is a whole new chapter of life that prepares students for college. It’s the beginning of a four-year adventure.

At the Academy, the teachers want to make the students feel welcomed and excited to learn every day, especially the freshmen on their first day of school. Dance teacher Donna Reese explained, “I want my students to be happy; proud of themselves; learn to love the art of dance; and pass their love for the performing arts onto the next generation.”

Thinking about her first day, freshman Ashleigh Dansker admitted, “I was feeling a bit anxious about making friends and meeting new people. I felt excited afterwards because I made a lot of friends very quickly.”

Freshman Catherine Rizzo exclaimed, “I had so much fun on my first day of school here! I felt welcomed, and I love how the teachers always want the best for you.” It is always wonderful to know that teachers want their students to do the best they can do.

The freshman seemed to have enjoyed their first day at AHC. With the completion of their first quarter, they reflected on those first weeks.

Dansker admitted, “It took me a while to adjust to finding my classes, but now I figured it all out.” High school can be a big change in size, but once the school becomes familiar, it is very easy to find the way.

Rizzo shared, “I had to get the hang of things like the change in homework loads and needing to put more effort into my assignments. My teachers and friends are always here for me if I have any questions or issues!”

Dansker and Rizzo expressed enthusiasm for the rest of their freshman year and the opportunities they will have.