Diving into the Visual Arts

Photo by Riana Tadonki

A ceramic piece by Lee Myers, class of 2019, displayed in the Visual Arts hallway.

There is more to visual arts at Holy Cross than just the arts–including meaning and excitement.

Visual arts teacher Rebecca Cornelius revealed exciting activities for visual arts students. In November, the classes (93 students) will be going to the Smithsonian’s Freer|Sackler Galleries for an Asian art program events and the National Museum of African Art for “The Highlights of Africa” tour, focusing on masks and sculptures.

An art show is scheduled before Spring Break that will showcase student creations. Something to look forward to is the IB visual arts exhibition. In addition, “One of our IB art students, Serena Kemp, is the set designer for “Into the Woods,” and is designing the scenery,” said Cornelius.

Junior Kierra Marshall is making baskets from clay in her ceramics class. They have been working with the pottery wheel more. “ We will be making African clay boxes,” she shared. Due to increased student interest in ceramics, the number of ceramics classes at Holy Cross has expanded from five to eight sections this year.

Cornelius suggested that students take a visual arts class not just because they get the opportunity to create art, but also because they will make connections to other classes. “ Visual arts connects to the entire curriculum,” she explained. Through this department, students get to exercise their creativity, which is an extensive part of their intellect. “Creativity is one measure of intelligence,” described Cornelius.

For Marshall, also, “… you can express creativity and have a break from school work”.

The art department offers courses in ceramics, graphic design, photography, studio and visual arts. “Ceramics II will be making coiled clay baskets by hand. It is also called functional ceramics. They will be hand-building their baskets with clay much the same way that baskets are usually made with straw,” revealed Cornelius.

Marshall hinted that some of the ceramics bowls may be used at the Empty Bowls Night, “ They will be serving soup in our bowls,” she added.

Even though visual arts is sometimes viewed as only art, the department teaches students more than that. Creative activities have a visual impact and stimulate students intellectually. It “helps strengthen our visual-spatial intelligence,” stated Cornelius.

More images from the visual arts classes (photos by Riana Tadonki):