Academic Excellence From Teachers’ Perspectives

Photo by Maya Randall

A board in front of College Counseling

High school can be a very difficult time for students, especially those coming right out of middle school or those about to leave for college. Who better to gain insight for the students about academic success than the teachers. Teachers witness firsthand how well students do in their classroom and the things students can do to improve.

“When I think students are struggling a lot of times it’s because they make the perfect enemy of the good, and they get in their own head about writing the perfect paper, and they don’t treat their work as just a  job to be done,” religion teacher Dr. Andrew Reinsch shared. 

Reinsch’s assignments involve lots of writing, so he encourages his students to focus less on being perfect and more on getting the work done. 

“If a student is struggling, get over the desire to be perfect. Sometimes you have to do bad work on the way to doing good work,” Reinsch added.

Terlyn Gaddis, a math teacher, shared her experience with students in her class. 

“A majority do not take care to use resources; you can’t just depend on your notes,” Gaddis said about studying.

Gaddis gives advice for students that want to do well not just in math but all departments. 

“Continuously checking in with their teacher throughout the quarter, not when the quarter is about to end. Do a one-on-one session with your teacher,” Gaddis suggested.

Rebecca Philbrick is a director of the St Mary’s Resource Program. The St Mary’s Resource Program is a program that provides students with extra assistance with test preparation, time management skills, building responsible independence, and other strategies for academic success.

“I see students in the resource program. I think they are planning things out ahead of time and I have seen students reach out to teachers,” Philbrick explained.

The SMRP program Philbrick and Debbie Ballard, provides support to students academically and arrange accommodations. They also assist students in getting back on track if they are falling behind.

“I see students planning ahead rather than waiting till the last minute. I see students coming in constantly to meet with their teachers,” Philbrick remarked. Academic excellence isn’t your GPA.”

Iryna Sirota-Basso is an English teacher at the school. 

“I do recommend coming to talk to a teacher and getting help,” Basso agreed.

Basso emphasizes the importance of taking interest in the work students are given in her class.

“Intellectual curiosity I think is something that ensures excellence, going one step further, going above and beyond to show that you are interested, not just you are doing it because it was assigned, and that shows depth,” Basso encouraged.