Becoming a LOTA

Photo by Addison Bounds

LOTAs helping a “Tartan for a Day.”

At Holy Cross, the admissions office has the responsibility of deciding the applicants invited to attend each year.

When potential freshman apply for Holy Cross they go through the admission process where they must send in an applications, go to interviews and auditions, take the High School Placement Test (HSPT) and shadow a student at AHC. The Admissions office at Holy Cross makes all of this happen.

The first step of the process is the application.  These are available to the students in September and are due by December 10. These dates remain the same through the years.

Next students must take the HSPT. These scores are sent to the school where they are reviewed along with the student’s transcript and application. From January to February all of this information will be evaluated by the admissions committee and decisions will be made about the candidates.

“The application process was a little stressful in the beginning but once I got my application turned in I got to enjoy my shadow and meeting all of my potential classmates,” freshman Camilla Karns claimed. “I didn’t think I would end up here to be honest but when I came to some of the events to get a feel for the environment I knew AHC would be a great fit.”

Applying students also must interview with a Holy Cross faculty member so that the school can get to know more about the applicant. If a student wants to apply for an arts scholarship, she must audition. An academic scholarship is a possibility for students with test scores in the 90th percentile and excellent grades. These scholarships are both open to all candidates to apply for.

Applicants also become a “Tartan for a Day” to shadow a current freshman. They will go to all of the classes with their AHC student guide that they were paired with. The girls are matched by similar interests and personality.

“My favorite part of the application process is getting to know the students and their families, whether during the interviews or shadows. I like to get to know the girls so if they enroll I already know a little about them,” Admission Counselor Meredith Gobbi explained.

As the acceptance letters start going out at the end of February the applicants can decide if Holy Cross is a good fit for them. If so then they will start their journey as a LOTA in the fall.