Holy Cross Through the Years

Photo by Danielle Ballantine

Freshmen legacy Tartans with their mothers

With last year’s 150th anniversary, the community of Holy Cross celebrated its traditions and legacies. With the long history of the school there are obviously alumni and legacies throughout the school.

Former AHC student Benedetta Marra, class of 2014, spoke very positively about Holy Cross. She said, “I truly loved my time at Holy Cross and to this day I still talk about how great my school experience was.”

Marra also explained, “The relationships and connections I made at Holy Cross have followed me into the real world in the best way possible. I know that no matter where I end up I will always have a community and women to lean on who will always support me.”

Marra also spoke about how AHC taught her how to be confident in herself and her knowledge in and outside of school.

Holy Cross has gone through many changes in the last 150 years, but many of the traditions that have been made during those years still exist.

Photo by Danielle Balantine
Mother Anne Pottker, class of ’81, with daughter Nora Pottker, class of ’22

There are several Tartan alumni who work at Holy Cross. One is the Dance teacher, Donna Reese attended the academy of Holy Cross. She pointed out that traditions like Powder Puff, Little Sister Big Sister, and Senior Project existed when she went to AHC.

She explained, “In terms of senior projects, it changed my life… because of my senior project I went from dance therapy to dance education.”

Reese also mentioned, “[AHC] gave me my best friends for life.”

Former LOTA Anne Pottker from class of 1981 has a daughter who is a freshman at Holy Cross this year.

She spoke about how she appreciates the Holy Cross legacy. She said, “I enjoy the feeling that my daughter is going to enjoy the same as I did. I feel at home when I go to AHC.”