Behind the Desk: College Counseling

Photo by Eliana Patterson

Meighan Avalos, Kelley Fitzpatrick, Marissa Mills

From freshman to senior year, the college counseling office helps to shape the futures of LOTAs. Behind the desks of the College Counseling office is the dedicated staff of Director Kelly Patrick, Associate Director Meighan Avalos and Senior Project Coordinator Marissa Mills. The college counseling staff works hard to host events and assist students in order to educate and prepare Tartans for their future.

Senior Project Coordinator Marissa Mills explained, “We operate as a team. My main job is to ensure that documents, transcripts, and letters of recommendation are done in timely fashion to meet the college deadlines.”  

Avalos stated, “My first task is to advise students on college recommendations and the admissions process.” Other events are also planned. She added, “We also host over 100 colleges every year through Holy Cross campus visits. We set up programs and events like College Day, the JET Fair and Application Academy.”

Their most popular event is College Day in January. Avalos explained, “Over 80 colleges send reps to visit and speak to our students.”

Another large event they host is Application Academy. “This is a three day boot camp right before senior year. Around 15 college reps are in attendance and they work with students on their mock interviews, speak on informative panels, and give essay critics.” Avalos shared, “The girls pretty much get a head start on everything college.”

The WAIS Fair (Washington Area Independent School Fair) in April is one of the largest college fairs in the area. This year it is on Wednesday, April 10 from 6 to 9 PM and over 220 colleges have registered. The WAIS Fair is also held at Georgetown Prep.

Avalos mentioned, ”We work with all students, for example college day where the whole school was involved. We really start working with juniors when the college process truly begins.” She further explained “The process starts with one on one initial meetings with their assigned college counselors and visiting college campuses and taking the SAT.” 

Mills advised, “Use the summer to relax and prepare for your busy senior year. Preparation is the key to life!”