Flu Season Recommendations

Photo by Shannon Gibbons

Sophomore Tori Macdonald and School Nurse Kathleen Clarke

School is one of those breeding ground for illnesses. One person becomes sick, passing it onto others who become sick and so on.

During the fall sports season, when temperatures were changing, many of the athletes were falling ill. The sicker students even had to miss a few days of school.

Sophomore Tori Macdonald was infected with the flu this year, missing four days of school. Macdonald had not received a flu shot and claimed, “I am planning to get it very soon.”

School nurse Kathleen Clark helps students when they are ill. She refers to the CDC website for her tips with the flu season, but the most important tip she wants to emphasize with everyone is, “Wash your hands.”

Clark recommends the flu shot to anyone, even if she or he thinks that it is not necessary. She also reminds students who missed school for three or more days have to bring in a note.

It is recommended to get a flu shot earlier, before season, because then it’s more likely to prevent the flu. The flu shot prevents or reduces influenza, a disease that can that can lead to hospitalization or death. The CDC advises that an annual seasonal flu shot is the best way to protect yourself and others from getting the flu.

Many people recommend Airborne as a supplement to prevent from receiving the flu. However Vitamin C has no effect on the flu. Furthermore, the vitamins have no effect on colds either, so Airborne is basically an overpriced vitamin supplement.

Another important factor about the flu is that is is a contagious disease, so stay away from people infected. Using a disinfectant around sick people can help prevent to the spread of germs.

Because the disease is contagious, doctors recommend staying at home and getting rest when sick, rather than going to school and spreading the illness. If a student or teacher encounters symptoms such as a headache, sore throat, fatigue, or nasal congestion, it is for the best to take a day off.

As Macdonald recovered from her illness, she still had to make up the days she missed. Macdonald expressed, “I had so much work I just didn’t even know where to start.” When she came back to school, she went to the counselor to get help with making up her work.

Clark also recommended that students go to the their counselors to help them stay on track when they are ready to return to school.

Healthcare professionals remind everyone that personal health is so important, so remember to treat every illness with proper care.