Tartan Times

• Winter Dance Show December 6 and 7

• Onyx Toy Drive: remember to bring in toys for children

• Buy the yearbook before February 1 and save $10

Tartans Provide Relief from Hurricanes

A+sailboat+is+shoved+up+against+a+house+and+a+collapsed+garage+Saturday%2C+Sept.+15%2C+2018%2C+after+heavy+wind+and+rain+from+Florence%2C+now+a+tropical+storm%2C+blew+through+New+Bern%2C+N.C.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Tartans Provide Relief from Hurricanes

A sailboat is shoved up against a house and a collapsed garage Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018, after heavy wind and rain from Florence, now a tropical storm, blew through New Bern, N.C.

Photo by AP Photographer Steve Helber

Photo by AP Photographer Steve Helber

Photo by AP Photographer Steve Helber

In response to the recent Hurricane Florence that gravely affected the Carolinas in September, the Holy Cross community decided to help with the relief effort. Director of Holy Cross Social Justice Emily Teter explained that AHC chose to raise money to give to Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh, North Carolina, which was one of the most devastated areas hit.

In order to collect money, peer ministers at Holy Cross volunteered to campaign during lunch and sit at a table where students could drop their donations in a bucket. There was no initial goal for the amount of money raised and Teter shared that “the student body is very generous and we collected whatever we could.” As a result, AHC raised $507.96 for relief efforts.

Explaining how providing relief from this hurricane would affect students, Teter mentioned the fact that it raises awareness that devastating disasters can happen to anyone and that small sacrifices can be made to help. She further expressed, “sometimes when we donate money, we think it doesn’t make us feel much; but it can make us feel a part of the recovery effort.”

A senior peer minister Jennifer Olcott shared how providing hurricane relief affected her by saying, “It made me feel good knowing that I was helping make a difference in the victims’ lives. However it was upsetting knowing about all the damage that was done by the hurricane.” Olcott invited other students to participate as well because it is an easy way to aid the victims.

Teter revealed that she had friends who were in the area at that time and while they were fine they had several problems including electricity. She commented that the surroundings of her friends were devastated. Teter then noted that “Perhaps knowing someone who was there makes it more real.”

Offering words of encouragement to those affected by Hurricane Florence, Teter wanted to let them know that “ We are praying for them as a school community. They are not forgotten and will not be forgotten about. We will be supportive the way we can.”

Olcott encouraged the victims to “stay strong and keep faith because it is going to get better.” This gesture of help that Holy Cross provided was simple yet meaningful.

• Tartans Provide Relief from Hurricanes

AHC News

Holy Cross Day

AHC News

Five Days of Tarta

AHC News

Syracuse University Conference

Features

Social Media and Teens

AHC News

Searching for the Perfect College

AHC News

Holy Cross Spreads Breast Cancer Awareness

AHC News

Freshmen’s First Quarter Full of New Beginnings

AHC News

WE GOT SPIRIT!

AHC News

AHC’s New Peace Promoter

AHC News

A Tartan at Fashion Week

Tartan Times
Tartans Provide Relief from Hurricanes