Searching for the Perfect College

Photo by Madison Dias

College representative from Towson University talks to prospective students.

For upperclassmen at Holy Cross, college preparation is an important factor in getting into the college of choice. For many, attending the meetings held with college reps helps in the decision of where to apply and ultimately where to attend.

According to the Director of College Counseling Kelly Fitzpatrick, “The largest meetings have around thirty students in attendance for more popular colleges to apply to. On average, most meetings have are about four to eight students, while sometimes certain colleges come to meet with students in a one-on-one setting.”

Attending these meetings is very beneficial to college-bound seniors. However, the meetings aren’t just limited to seniors; juniors can also attend if the meeting is during a free period or during lunch.

An important incentive for students who attend is the opportunity to get individualized questions answered and to have a “tailored information session to what you want to hear,” explained Fitzpatrick.

On October 31, Richard Long from the University of Rochester visited the Academy. He said that he enjoys his visits, all one hundred thirty, as he described what he has scheduled in the past few months. “We typically discuss the admissions process, the application process, and the area around the school,” stated Long. “I sometimes feel like a real estate agent”, he joked.

At the visits, which students sign up for via Naviance, college representatives discuss as much as they can about the college during the allotted time. The topics of discussion typically include student life, academics, major selection, location, size of the college, unique programs, extracurricular activities as well as the admissions and application process, including scholarship opportunities.

Some notable upcoming visits include Rutgers University, Fordham University, Syracuse University, Vanderbilt University, Elon University, New York University, Boston University, and University of Delaware.

If students have any questions regarding college visits, they can visit College Counseling or check the monitors throughout the building for updated dates and times of visits.